PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Auxiliary Operator
Position Type: Contract
Location: San Antonio, TX US
Reports to: Shift Supervisor
PIC Group has an excellent opportunity for an Aux Operator, supporting a fast paced, dynamic work environment at a state-of-the-art Research and Development Facility located in San Antonio, TX. The Aux Operator would report to the Shift Supervisor and be responsible for operations of proof-of-concept project that recycles plastic through a cutting-edge catalyst reforming process. The Aux Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of all plant equipment and maintenance activities during his shift, including equipment safety while operating a fluidized catalytic cracking unit (FCC) and other ancillary systems designed to molecularly change plastics into its original form. The Aux Operator will play an integral part in achieving manufacturing efficiencies while achieving project required output requirements by performing sound practices in the start-up, operation, shutdown, and maintenance of the feed and melt system, reactor, regenerator, main column, and all balance of plant equipment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures safe and efficient operation of the feed and melt system, reactor, regenerator, main column, related auxiliaries, and balance of plant systems from outside the control room.
- Start-up, operation, and shutdown of equipment, systems, and the plant in accordance with approved plant procedures, technical manuals and as directed by the Control Room Operator.
- Monitor and record local operating parameters, adjusting as required to maintain safe and efficient operation.
- Supports the Control Room Operators in the proper operation of the operating facility with minimal guidance or assistance. Competently operates and maintains all plant equipment. Capable of operating plant equipment locally via PLC panel interfaces. Communicates plant issues and keeps Control Room Operators fully informed of plant operations, unusual conditions, and faulty equipment.
- Fully supports the use of a computerized maintenance management system by displaying a proficiency in using the system, entering data consistent with the facility maintenance philosophy.
- Handles corrective maintenance and preventive maintenance work orders in a timely and high-quality manner as assigned.
- Visually inspects and listens to equipment at periodic intervals to detect malfunctions or need for repair, adjustment, or lubrication.
- Monitor plant air and water emissions from outside the control room and take steps to maintain within acceptable limits notifying Control Room Operator of abnormal situations.
- Observe, report, troubleshoot, and correct situations that are likely to develop into operational problems or safety hazards.
- Report and respond to chemical spills and leaks in accordance with plant emergency response plans.
- Monitor and operate equipment as directed by the Control Room Operator for safe and efficient operation of the plant. This includes opening, lock out tag out (LOTO) for isolation and maintenance.
- At turnover from Auxiliary Operator being relieved, get special orders and unusual operating conditions. Review operating logs and inspect plant equipment, controls, and indications.
- As directed by the Control Room Operator, perform periodic tests on critical plant systems and equipment including lube oil pumps, turbine valves, turbine system trips, and boiler trips.
- Test and operate plant fire and chemical safety equipment as directed.
- Maintain work area in a clean, orderly condition.
- Report all maintenance activities to the Control Room Operator.
- Participate in scheduled safety meetings and training.
- Safely operate vehicles on-site as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Control Room Operator and Shift Supervisor.
- Mechanical, instrumentation and electrical equipment knowledge is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of refining or petrochemical operations, or equivalent in Fluid Catalytic Cracking (FCC) equipment operation.
- Demonstrated ability to make competent decisions in emergency situations.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and understand corporate programs, policies, procedures, and instructions specific to the associated Operations & Maintenance Agreement.
- Knowledge of equipment isolation and tagging procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of the purpose and proper use of plant safety equipment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills to identify, analyze, and recommend solutions.
- Excellent teamwork skills required
- Ability to walk, reach, climb ladders, stoop, and lift up to 75 pounds.
- Will be exposed to outdoor elements as required.
- Ability to work in small or confined spaces
- A high school diploma or GED is required.
- 2+ years prior experience as a plant operator required.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.