PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Auxiliary Operator
Position Type: Contract
Location: Stratton, OH
Reports to: Operations & Maintenance Manager
PIC Group has an excellent opportunity for an Auxiliary Operator to support a 1500MW Coal-fired facility employing Babcock & Wilcox Boilers and GE Turbines located in Stratton, OH. The Auxiliary Operator will report to the Operations and Maintenance Manager and is an integral part of a team of seasoned operators with a solid history of strong plant performance . The Auxiliary Operator plays a vital role in the safe and reliable start-up, operation, and continuous monitoring of boilers, electric generators, chillers, steam distribution systems, steam turbines, and ancillary equipment as directed by management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates auxiliary equipment such as auxiliary boilers, boiler feed, circulating, condensate, house service, vacuum, makeup, raw water pumps traveling screens, soot blowers and fly ash and bottom ash removal equipment.
- Inspects furnaces for condition of fire and amount of slag in various furnace areas; removes slag manually and reports slagging conditions to proper operating personnel; utilizes water and air lances as necessary.
- Inspects steam generators and related ducts breaching, valves, piping, and headers for evidence of leakage of steam, air, gas, water, oil or dust and reports conditions to proper operating personnel.
- Lubricates auxiliary equipment, change oil in fans, pumps, pulverizers and other assigned auxiliary equipment.
- Obtain thorough turnover from Auxiliary Operator being relieved, including special orders and unusual operating conditions. Review operating logs and inspect plant equipment, controls, and indications. Prepare and provide information to the oncoming shift per plant shift turnover process.
- Maintains proper water levels in storage tanks and hot wells.
- Collects samples, operates test instruments, performs routine analysis and tests associated with plant processes and records results and reports irregularities.
- Conducts periodic inspections of Fly Ash and Bottom Ash systems, Air Quality Control systems and vessels.
- Observes operation of burner ignition and oil torches, manually operates this equipment when necessary
- Handles corrective maintenance and preventive maintenance work orders in a timely and high-quality manner as assigned.
- Backwashes condensers and filters as determined by operating parameters.
- Observe, report, troubleshoot, and correct situations that are likely to develop into operational problems or safety hazards.
- Monitor and operate equipment circuit breakers and switches; this includes opening, locking, and tagging for isolation and maintenance.
- Directs and trains employees as assigned.
- Hands-on familiarity with power plant operations, production, or maintenance environment, at a Coal-fired facility.
- Must have a working knowledge of boilers, Air Quality Control Systems, fuel oil, pulverized coal systems and automatic combustion controls.
- Must have a working knowledge of boiler feed, fire protection, circulating, potable, make-up, water systems and auxiliary steam systems
- Must be thoroughly familiar with the Coal-fired Power Plant and equipment layouts.
- Ability to utilize computer, calculator, familiarity with Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of mechanical, instrumentation and electrical equipment.
- Ability to accurately read and interpret instruments, gauges, and manuals.
- Knowledge of equipment isolation and tagging procedures.
- Ability to learn the principles of operation and application of fire-fighting equipment, first aid and other resuscitation practices that will be prescribed by the company.
- Thorough knowledge of the purpose and proper use of the plant safety equipment.
- Excellent problem-solving skills to identify, analyze, and recommend solutions.
- Excellent teamwork skills required and must possess a high degree of initiative and judgment.
- Ability to respond to plant emergencies/call-ins (day or night) holidays and weekends.
- Ability to work rotating shifts involving weekends, holidays, backshifts, and overtime.
- Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively, verbally, and in writing.
- Ability to handle multiple assignments on a timely basis with a high degree ofaccuracy.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) including but not limited to half and full-face respirators, fall protection equipment, hardhat, safety shoes, safety glasses as needed.
- Ability to pass a respirator physical and respirator fit test if applicable.
- Ability to work in varied outdoor environments such as all-weather conditions, moderate noise levels, hazardous conditions, and on the full range of outdoor work surfaces.
- Capable of frequent standing, walking, balancing, and sitting.
- Capable of climbing ladders, stairs, ramps, catwalks, stacks as required.
- Capable of stooping, squatting, crouching, crawling, kneeling, reaching, grasping, pushing, pulling, lifting greater than 50 pounds.
- Capable of performing repetitive motions as required.
- Physically capable of entering and working in a confined space such as crawl spaces, shafts, small, enclosed areas, pipes as required.
- Physically capable of performing demanding work at various heights and in adverse conditions during operations, shutdowns, and in fire/emergency activities.
Education / Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Power Plant Technology - A Production Degree or a combination of coursework and job experience is required
- 3+ years of Auxiliary Operator experience in a conventional power plant.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.