ATR Experiment Engineer
Idaho National Laboratory
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Advanced Test Reactor (ATR) Experiment Engineering group is seeking forward-thinking professionals interested in exploring a career as an ATR Experiment Engineer for a Two-year project hire assignment.
Our team works an on-site 4x10 schedule located at our ATR facility with every Friday off!
- Represent assigned experiment at ATR and ensure ATR evolutions for the experiment are scheduled. Establish experiment requirements for appropriate core safety evaluations, experiment safety analysis creation and reviews, development and modification of loop chemistry requirements, and establishment of experiment insertion and removal documentation.
- Document experiment requirements and operating information, perform core load verification, and provide field engineering for various operations and maintenance evolutions.
- Perform engineering tasks and activities under guidance of experienced staff and ensure appropriate peer review of work is conducted. Apply engineering theories, principles, methods, concepts, tools, and technologies to well-defined assignments of limited scope where causal relationships can be identified and precedence exists.
- Work to broaden and deepen technical knowledge and skills. Interact with technical networks not only within the ATR Programs organization but throughout the INL and Naval Reactors organization structures.
- Build and maintain effective internal relationships on individual or team level. Exhibit spirit of collaboration, teamwork, resource sharing, and mutual respect.
- Training and qualification:
- Complete qualifications as presented in the experiment engineer training program.
- Experiment Safety Evaluation and Core Test Insertion/Removal:
- Perform and Review Experiment Safety Analyses
- Perform and Review Experiment Insertion and Removal Support Documentation
- Manage/Control Core Configuration
- Customer Interface:
- Coordinate with Naval Reactors, Nuclear Science and Technology and other customers who are desiring irradiation services, to ensure required deliverables and documentation to support insertion are obtained in accordance with procedural requirements.
- Perform design reviews of experiment related hardware.
- Provide technical feedback to ensure appropriate development of customer deliverables prior to test insertion and removal.
- Experiment Loop System Engineering Support
- Understand system details and operating parameters.
- Collaborate with operations to trend and analyze operating data.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or Science with 0-2 years of related experience
- This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Department of Energy "L" clearance, which requires US Citizenship.
- Salary Grade: 200/210
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
- TDP-Testing designated position: You will be required to submit to a pre-employment drug screen and periodic drug testing throughout the term of your employment.
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on depth and breadth of proven experience and skills.
Growing INL: An Overview of New Facilities and Capabilities
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
COVID Safety Protocols
As a condition of employment, Idaho National Laboratory will inquire about COVID vaccination status and expects candidates to comply with all required COVID safety protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable.
Idaho National Laboratory has implemented a required vaccination policy effective immediately requiring that all new hires must be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with Idaho National Laboratory's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that may be reduced by vaccinations.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation
We have an extremely competitive salary structure and phenomenal benefits. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview/
About this Employer
Part of the U.S. Dept. of Energy’s complex of national laboratories, INL performs work in each of the strategic goal areas: energy, national security, science & environment. INL is the nation’s leading center for nuclear energy research & development.