Associate Trading Analyst Power Job
Hierarchy: No - We can only hire at the posted level
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Design and perform quantitative analysis to price wholesale energy commodity transactions and quantify and hedge risk. Plan and optimize seasonal, monthly, balance-of-month, and daily resource commitment schedules and portfolio positions to provide the most economic operations of the power system portfolios. Perform post-analysis of actual dispatch and system operations for each of the Xcel power system portfolios to determine opportunities for efficiency improvements. Submit Xcel Energy's bids and offers into organized markets, which requires the employee to be classified as Wholesale Merchant Function.
- Design and perform quantitative studies of historical and forecasted prices, system loads, fuel costs, and determination of the natural position of XE's power system portfolios. Support trading and risk management activities through quantifying the natural position of each XE regulated operating company. Troubleshoot daily operation of XE's regulated electric operating companies and provide technical support to real-time traders during daily operation of the systems. Assist Fuels in the determination of forward fuel requirements and the daily gas nomination process.
- Identify opportunities to improve system operations. Design and create analytical studies to model opportunities and determine costs/savings (e.g. rescheduling plant maintenance, alternative operating strategies for certain resources, etc.). Help plant operations personnel understand the market implications of plant operating decisions.
- Create and run modeling scenarios to optimize daily unit commitment, additional purchases/sales, and long-term energy limited or constrained seasonal purchases. Verify accuracy of results through extensive post-analysis of XE system performance. Develop short-term load forecasts, current plant/contract availability, fuel costs, and market conditions. Determine quantities of energy to buy/sell, optimal scheduling of constrained resources, and optimal commitment decisions for plants/contractual resources. Bid load and offer generation into organized markets on behalf of the company.
- Design and perform post-analysis models of previous day system operation to determine opportunities for dispatch efficiency and purchase/sales improvements. Perform benchmarking of models as appropriate to assure analysis integrity. Verify accuracy of sales costing.
- Seek improvements to processes and analyses used for purchasing/selling commodities, scheduling of contracted resources, and commitment/dispatch of XE generation assets.
- Perform pricing and costing of Real-Time Pricing Program sales and wholesale sales.
- Develop knowledge of regulatory requirements. Identify opportunities to automate solutions for data transfers. Recommend trading strategies based on technical and fundamental market analysis.
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, engineering, applied sciences, or related fields.
- Prefer mechanical engineering background or individuals with power plant operations experience coupled with strong computer skills and analytical thinking.
- Preference given to individuals with at least 6 months experience with generation cost modeling software such as Plexos, Aurora, Prosym, Promod, or Gentrader.
- Customer and Stakeholder Engagement
- Job and Business Expertise
- Operational Excellence
- Relationship Focused
Location(s): CO - Denver
Organization: Operations and Generation
Department: 25230:Man Dir Energy Trading
Non-Union jobs will be posted internally for a minimum of 5 business days, after 5 days the job may be unposted at any time.
Union jobs will be posted based on the union agreement.
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $77,000 to $109,666 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Recruiter: Elizabeth A Robinson
Hiring Manager: Mark S Breese
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.