Associate Generation Modeling Analyst or Generation Modeling Analyst Job
Hierarchy: Yes - We may hire at a higher level
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
This position is posted as a hierarchy at the Associate Generation Modeling Analyst or Generation Modeling Analyst level. The successful candidate will be hired at the level that is commensurate with their skills and experience.
Prepare and perform budget to meet corporate requirements. Prepare and perform risk management analyses of trading activities. Prepare probability studies of Xcel Energy's portfolio risks. Prepare transaction cost information necessary to perform mark to market and risk determinations
- Responsible for the maintenance of all necessary data needed to prepare cost forecasts and resource analyses. Ensure power systems are accurately modeled in terms of fuel costs, production capability (heat rates, capacity, O&M, etc.) and contract terms.
- Work on developing production budget by incorporating multiple inputs such as forced outage rates, fuel costs, heat rates, capacity upgrades, demand side management, capacity purchases, native demand and energy forecast, future RFP deals, native and non-native transactions, etc.
- Prepare periodic forecasts of portfolio costs, incremental and decremental costs, for seasonal analyses by working closely with Analysts from other business units.
- Perform probability analyses of portfolio risks. Independently prepare reports and trading recommendations using forecasts of portfolio costs.
- Review transactions independently from XCEL's Energy Markets to ensure compliance with Risk Management policies.
Associate Generation Modeling Analyst Requirements
- Bachelor's of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree in engineering, mathematics, physics, quantitative analysis, business or a related discipline, or equivalent experience (two years professional related experience equivalent to one year of college), plus 3 years equivalent Electric Utility experience.
Generation Modeling Analyst Requirements
- Bachelor's of Science or Bachelor's of Arts degree in engineering, mathematics, physics, quantitative analysis, business or a related discipline, or equivalent experience (two years professional related experience equivalent to one year of college).
- At least 5 years of experience in analyzing generation and transaction costs using financial tools/production simulation software. Experience with the Company's Prosym Production Costing and Generation Modeling software or equivalent is preferred.
- Must have advanced quantitative analysis skills and extensive knowledge in the systems and software required for such analyses.
- Advanced skills using spreadsheet and database software is desired.
- Extensive knowledge of the performance, operations and modeling of generating assets, preferably Xcel Energy's assets, is desired.
• Modeling experience using production cost software such as PLEXOS, PROMOD or Aurora
• Programing experience using one or more of the following; Mathematica, Python, .Net, MATLAB, R, Julia, or SQL
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: CO - Denver || CO - Denver; MN - Minneapolis; TX - Amarillo; WI - Eau Claire || United States (US) || CFO Organization || 25290:Generation Modeling Svcs || Full-Time || Non-Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: Associate Level: $77,000 to $109,666 per year; Higher level: $87,000 to $123,666 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Requisition Number: 48730
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.