Associate Energy Trader Job
Hierarchy: Yes - We may hire at a higher level
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Responsible for developing, analyzing, implementing, and maintaining trading models to be used in energy sales. Responsible for trading day-ahead transactions to maximize Xcel Energy revenues. Identifies and analyzes technical and fundamental factors affecting day-ahead market prices. Profitably trades MISO, PJM, NEISO, and NYISO markets to generate trading margins for the Xcel Energy proprietary trading and system management book.
- Model Development - Interact with Traders regarding financial market trends to research and develop new models. Perform initial model testing using historical data to prove validity of the model. Work with IT to automate the logic and functionality of successful test models, identify data sources, convey model logic, formulate mathematics and user input, provide feedback for each revision, and back-test each revision.
- Utilize model output to profitably engage in the proprietary trading of financial energy products. Executes trades within defined risk parameters, with a duration of day-ahead. Implement trading strategies that capture inefficiencies of the market as the result of pricing disparity, generation outages, congestion, and binding constraints. Track trading results to understand current market conditions for future improvements to the models.
- Work with Traders and Risk Analytics to develop tools that track and analyze current and anticipated market trends. Performs technical and fundamental analysis of futures and forward physical market prices to develop a view of the market for Trading. Uses analytical skills to provide pricing support for risk management and other trading staff, as needed.
- Perform daily review of deal capture input to ensure Front Office deal integrity. Perform daily comparison of ACES and PANO as well as ACES and PCI inputs to ensure the systems are consistent and appropriate corrections are made as needed. Utilize the existing reporting system and/or work with IT to improve or develop a system that accurately identifies input discrepancies. Ensure changes are timely and completed prior to Accounting personnel running the Weekly P&L and closing the books at month end.
- Model Maintenance ? Perform revisions, enhancements, back-testing, and post-analysis of models in test and production environments. Work with IT to promptly correct problems or enhance functionality. Identify data sources that may provide enhanced results such as quality-controlled data, additional granularity, or new types of data. Communicate model changes and enhancements to Traders and provide training.
- Other special projects and duties as assigned.
- BS or BA, preferably with emphasis in Marketing, Business, Finance, or Engineering.
- Must have fundamental understanding of financial markets.
- Experience in modeling work is required; preferably energy trading modeling.
- Strong statistical analysis skills are necessary.
- Must have advanced computer system skills in Excel, and preferably with Verify, Velocity, or similar tools.
- Must possess the ability to communicate with all levels of employees, excellent analytical skills, and strong problem-solving skills.
- Additional requirements are dependent upon the energy market to which the Associate Energy Trader is assigned.
- Customer and Stakeholder Engagement
- Job and Business Expertise
- Operational Excellence
- Relationship Focused
Location(s): CO - Denver
Organization: Operations and Generation
Department: 25230:Man Dir Energy Trading
Non-Union jobs will be posted internally for a minimum of 5 business days, after 5 days the job may be unposted at any time.
Union jobs will be posted based on the union agreement.
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $87,000 to $123,666 per year
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits and/or pay components: Pay - Annual Incentive Program, Medical/Pharmacy Plan, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Dependent Care Reimbursement Account, Health Care Reimbursement Account, Health Savings Account (HSA) (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Limited-Purpose FSA (if enrolled in eligible health plan and HSA), Transportation Reimbursement Account, Short-term disability (STD), Long-term disability (LTD), Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Fitness Center Reimbursement (if enrolled in eligible health plan), Tuition reimbursement, Transit programs, Employee recognition program, Pension, 401(k) plan, Paid time off (PTO), Holidays, Personal holidays, Volunteer Paid Time Off (VPTO) (full-time employees only), Parental Leave
Click here to see our benefits
Recruiter: Elizabeth A Robinson
Hiring Manager: Mark S Breese
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at email@example.com
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.