Assistant Plant Manager
PIC Group, Inc.
Title: Assistant Plant Manager
Position Type: Direct Hire
Location: Ashtabula, OH
Reports to: Plant Manager
The Assistant Plant Manager is a leadership position responsible for utility and energy related assets located within a powerhouse and throughout the associated facility of a 25MW cogeneration facility located in Ashtabula, OH. The Assistant Plant Manager is an integral part of the site management team and provides leadership to the operations and maintenance groups on the daily operation of equipment under the general direction of the Plant Manager to ensure consistent operations for supply of electric power, compressed air, reverse osmosis, and steam supply critical to operations. This position will utilize their technical expertise, discretion, and judgement within established policies, procedures, and practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain a strong safety culture.
- Complies with all site safety and environmental requirements and procedures.
- Identifies safety hazards and takes corrective actions as necessary and assists with the development of and ensures that all site safety requirements and procedures are properly implements.
- Develops, implements, and managers consistent plant operating philosophies and best practices to maximize plant availability, efficiency, and productivity.
- Ensures contractors comply with all Onsite Business Unit and site-specific policies, procedures, and safety requirements.
- Reviews and improves operational processes and ensures that operating personnel are properly trained and adhere to established policies, procedures, and standards.
- Manages the O&M Technicians and Skilled Trades to ensure safe and efficient operation and maintenance of the plant while actively managing schedules to minimize overtime and comply with administrative guidelines.
- Establishes, reviews and modifies as required all predictive/preventive maintenance requirements programmed into the maintenance management system in alignment with maintenance strategy.
- Develops performance goals and reviews in a comprehensive, open, and objective manner to align employee accountabilities and conduct with operational processes in accordance with administrative guidelines.
- Investigates operating abnormalities and incidents to improve equipment availability and performance and to minimize maintenance requirements.
- Prepares necessary plant operation reports in a timely manner and investigates all forced outages, reporting them in accordance with the BU practice through SharePoint.
- In collaboration with Plant Manager, prepares and continually evaluates the operating department's budgets and/or makes recommendations to the Plant Manager relative to optimization of operations and maintenance costs.
- Assists with maintenance engineering evaluations and troubleshooting of equipment abnormalities.
- Maintains a consistent and effective level of communications with Plant Manager, Administrative staff, O&M Technicians and Skilled Trades on shift.
- Assists the Plant Manager with project management of all planned outage activities, including long term planning for capital improvements.
- In collaboration with the Plant Manager, drives continuous improvement of established metrics on the plant huddle board.
- Lead / support development of plant personnel in skillsets, equipment/system knowledge and solving critical operational concerns.
- Support management of change process to ensure traceability and collaboration on execution.
- Lead and support problem solving activities and coach and mentor the 4 CI capabilities within the team.
- Assures proper staffing, scheduling, orientation, and training of the plant staff, and manages compliance with all company policies and procedures.
- Supports recruiting, interviews, and assigns operations and maintenance employment candidates.
- Must be able to thoroughly demonstrate understanding of plant operations and maintenance, with strong knowledge of generating equipment, boilers, and water treatment processes.
- Ability to analyze and improve operations business processes.
- Proven planning and scheduling experience working with O&M, and other technical personnel involved with preventative/predictive maintenance and corrective maintenance.
- Solid knowledge of plant engineering and plant maintenance functions and how they relate to operations.
- Must have experience with accounting practices as it relates to analyzing cost impacts to budget.
- Must be skilled in planning, coordinating, and directing varied programs and tasks directly effecting the overall plant operation.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work shifts and extra/irregular hours and to work under unusual and special conditions that can arise in a generation station.
- Ability to pass respirator fit tests to in order to use respiratory protective equipment or self-contained breathing apparatus at all times.
- Frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel or sit.
- Talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms extensively and be able to define the work environment: temperature, noise level, inside or outside, or other factors that will affect the person's working conditions while performing the job.
- Must be able to enter and work in confined space areas, including boilers, condensers, tanks, etc. to evaluate equipment condition or inspect work efforts by assigned resources.
- Frequently able to lift objects of up to 10 pounds in weight and occasionally lift or move objects of up to 40 pounds in weight.
- Vision requirements for this position include close, distance and peripheral vision, along with depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Duties performed in a business office setting as well as outside in the plant.
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions, including wet and/or humid conditions, extreme heat, and may work near moving mechanical parts and/or machinery.
- Occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and vibration.
- Must be able to handle variations of noise level from in the office to working outside and inside the plant.
Education / Experience:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Minimum of 8 years of supervisory or managerial experience in a Cogeneration Power Plant with a represented (Union) workforce.
- Additional consideration provided for technical degrees.
PIC Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We offer competitive wages and benefits. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted.
About this Employer
PIC Group, Inc., established in 1988 and headquartered in Atlanta, GA, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PIC Group’s comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, commissioning and start-up, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan.