AREA REP (Alamogordo, NM)
Department: Transmission Substation
Current substation journeyman's license is preferred.
This position is covered by NERC CIP cyber security standards. Prior to being hired, promoted, or transferred into the position, the candidate must successfully pass a Personnel Risk Assessment, which includes identity verification and a criminal background check. Prior to being granted unescorted access to cyber secure areas, the candidate must attend cyber security training; supplemental training for certain PNMR Energy/Generation/Plant Management Systems and annual cyber security training will be required.
DEPARTMENT: TRANSMISSION AND DISTRIBUTION
DUTIES: Under general supervision of line superintendent or assigned supervisor.
Maintains and patrols Company transmission facilities and distribution lines, checking for any discrepancies that could cause a disruption in service; must possess a working knowledge of all the component parts of Company facilities, including the characteristics of design associated with the various voltages used on transmission and distribution lines served by Company lines; identifies the local distribution lines within assigned areas and knows their source, destination, and sectionalizing points; tries to visualize operations and plans work methods that will cause minimum inconvenience to commercial customers and the community service.
Arranges with supervisor for additional manpower and equipment in the event of difficulty; plans location of material on job site and describes and explains the overall job to crew members, outlining the sequence of work operations; makes arrangements for and coordinates necessary switching operations and informs responsible authority in connection with circuit changes.
Establishes and maintains effective lines of communication with his customer associates and supervisor and acts on suggestions which can be used to the Company's advantage; may work jointly with other related utilities in carrying out special work projects in situations of emergency; gives notice to customers and keeps them informed in connection with operational changes or Company directives affecting them and answers or obtains answers to all questions that may be
Conducts routine checks at substations and switching stations checking battery gravity and maintaining battery recharger for proper functioning of station batteries and station meters; changes charts and submits to Albuquerque for further processing.
Performs such line work as required and may be done by linemen working alone or with a crew.
Cooperates with others in providing supplemental information that will make reports more meaningful and complete and contribute to their correct interpretation; makes prompt verbal reports when unusual or serious situations occur and regular reports will not be available in time for responsible authority to take steps to assist or correct the situation.
Conducts himself in a way that reflects credit on himself and the Company and demonstrates the ability to make effective public contacts arising out of his daily work activities.
Performs other related and assigned duties.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Must possess a current Substation, Relay or Communication Journeyman's certification. The substation certification is preferred.
• The equivalent of technical training received in an Associate Degree Program and fifteen (15) years of practical experience and/or be able to demonstrate knowledge in maintenance of industrial electrical, electromechanical and electronic control equipment.
• Ability to direct the work of others as needed.
• Must possess working knowledge of Metering facilities and their operations.
• Knowledge of equipment operation, protection schemes, control circuits, or equivalent.
• Ability to perform repairs, testing, overhaul, troubleshooting and calibration of malfunctioning equipment and related auxiliary controls.
• Knowledge of electrical components in a substation/switching station environment and ability to test, calibrate, troubleshoot, maintain and repair associated equipment and their circuit schemes, inclusive of substation apparatus, protection relay and communications related equipment. Working knowledge of microwave, fiber optics, RTU, SCADA and protective relaying is a plus.
• Knowledge of Microsoft operating systems, and Microsoft office software.
• Knowledge of Cascade maintenance management database is required, inclusive of creating work orders, entering data accurately and closing assigned work orders to keep Cascade database accurate.
• Knowledge of operation and translation of data acquired by various test equipment packages that may be used to monitor, troubleshoot and/or isolate system control or processor issues.
• Ability to work closely with and gain the cooperation of fellow workers and internal and external customers.
• Working knowledge of industry standards and electric station related safety practices to safely perform maintenance and/or operations and the ability to train or instruct others as needed is desirable.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently.
• Must be willing to work extended overtime hours, including weekends and holidays as may be deemed necessary.
• Must be willing to work different shifts as needed.
• May be required to travel, including flying or driving to and from different work locations.
• Current and valid New Mexico drivers license and an insurable driving record required to operate company vehicles.
• Must be able and willing to respond to trouble calls at any time as needed.
• Requires frequent standing, walking, climbing stairs and ladders, balancing, bending, twisting and use of vision, hearing and speech.
• Requires occasional pushing and pulling, reaching, use of fine dexterity, kneeling, crouching, crawling and lifting of up to 100 pounds.
• Requires use of personal protective equipment in relation to working on or around electrical equipment, chemicals and solvents.
• Required to work in inclement weather, including but not limited to the following; heat, snow, rain, hail, cold, wind, and/or darkness.
JOB DESCRIPTION CONTINUED
This job description must be read in concert with the Administrative Section of the Union Job Description Manual.
Salary Grade: U33
$50.44 per hour
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
PNM Resources and affiliates are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers. Women, minorities, disabled individuals and veterans are encouraged to apply.
About this Employer
PNM Resources is an energy holding company based in Albuquerque, N.M., with 2020 consolidated operating revenues of $1.5 billion. Through its regulated utilities, PNM and TNMP, PNM Resources provides electricity to approximately 800,000 homes and businesses in New Mexico and Texas. PNM serves its customers with a diverse mix of generation and purchased power resources totaling 3.0 gigawatts of capacity, with a goal to achieve 100% emissions-free energy by 2040. PNM Resources is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange as PNM.
PNM Resources strives to create enduring value for customers, communities and shareholders built on a foundation of Environmental, Social and Governance Principles. At the core of our business we are focused on our Vision, our Purpose and our Values.