Apprentice Service Technician Job
Hierarchy: Yes - We may hire at a higher level
Union Position: Bargaining
We anticipate the need for one or more Apprentice Service Technicians/Journeymen Service Technicians to be located at our Ashland, WI locations. The starting base pay for a Journeyman is $43.14 per hour. The position will be posted for 15 Working Days from August 29th, 2022to September 16th, 2022. Candidate skills and qualifications will be evaluated and, in conformity to union contract, appropriate step placement will be offered to a successful candidate.
Minimum apprentice pay levels as a percentage of base Journeyman Service Technician pay:
1st Step: 65%
2nd Step: 70%
3rd Step: 75%
4th Step: 80%
5th Step: 85%
6th Step: 90%
In this position, you will need to be self-motivated, work well on a team and have a positive attitude. A strong commitment to work safely, provide quality customer service, create customer satisfaction and to work productively will be very important to your success. When qualified, you will be placed on an on-call roster for emergency call-outs.
- Locating gas lines and underground electric cable
- Disconnecting and reconnecting gas and electric meters for stop and start service and credit and collections
- Performing meter changes for single phase electric and gas periodic meters
- Performing gas leak and public building surveys
- Responding to gas emergencies and odor calls
- Work with gas construction crew to install or perform maintenance on gas distribution system
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Additional training in natural gas, electricity or related fields is required
- Experience locating gas and electric underground facilities is required
- Must be committed to working safely and compliance with all company safety rules
- Must have good communication and teamwork skills
- Must reside within 20 mile radius of assigned service center within the first 6 months of hire
- Must meet driver qualification requirements as specified in FMCSR parts 382 and 391 and obtain a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL) Class A
- This position is subject to D.O.T. random drug and alcohol testing program
- Must be willing and able to respond to after-hour emergency call-outs
- Experience with installation or maintenance of gas distribution systems
- Direct customer contact experience
Xcel Energy is committed to the safety of its employees and customers, and promotes a Safety Always culture. Because of this, we strongly encourage all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19; however, vaccination is not mandatory. After being hired, you will asked to report your vaccination status and dates of vaccination. This information will be maintained confidentially and disclosed only on a need-to-know basis. If you are not fully vaccinated or choose not to disclose your vaccination status you will be required to follow any health-and-safety rules applicable to unvaccinated employees.
As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers across eight Western and Midwestern states. At Xcel Energy, we strive to be the preferred and trusted provider of the energy our customers need. If you're ready to be a part of something big, we invite you to join our team.
Posting Notes: WI - Ashland || WI - Ashland || United States (US) || Operations || 724AS:Gas Const ASH/IRW WI || Full-Time || Bargaining ||
The anticipated starting base pay for this position is: $28.04 per hour
This position may also be eligible for the following benefits: Pension, 401(k) plan
Requisition Number: 49691
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with a disability who need an accommodation to apply please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
About this Employer
As a leading electric and natural gas energy company, we offer a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity customers and 1.9 million natural gas customers across our eight states: Colorado, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas and Wisconsin.
Our workforce of more than 12,000 is rising to the challenge of a dynamic, constantly-changing utility industry. One that requires us to be even more customer focused, forward thinking and productive while remaining committed to meeting our customers’ fundamental need for safe, reliable, affordable energy.
With nearly 50% of our workforce eligible to retire in the next five years, there’s never been a better time to come on board. Do you have a passion for renewable energy, like wind or solar? Or care about giving back to the community? You’ll be in a position to directly impact our energy future.
At Xcel Energy, you’ll be challenged, respected and rewarded. You’ll find an ethical team committed to excellence, safety and environmental stewardship. A dynamic company where you’ll have meaningful work that makes a difference.