Pragmatic Steps for Texas – that will never happen
- Feb 18, 2021 12:37 pm GMT
After the last week, Texas has now had 3 brushes with winter in 7 years. Maybe it is time to think about making some changes.
1) Require heaters in the wind turbines and standby generation at the collector.
2) PUCT needs to authorize load limiting via the meter – limiting amps
3) Put in place an insulation program for buildings and improve the building code
4) Capacity payments for generators who have a firm gas contract
5) They need to put in place low cost – long duration storage (e.g. Pumped Hydro) at scale (30GW/TWH)
6) Back up generation at first responder sites using someone like Enchanted Rock to manage them.
7) I would really look at building generation in the oil fields to use the excess gas on site and send it out as electricity – rather than flaring it.
I feel for the people who are on real time pricing programs from their energy retailer, they may see bills 100x their normal bill for February.