Data-centric Integration and Automation Technology for Nuclear Power Plant Management System
- Mar 17, 2021 3:01 pm GMT
by Mark Gino Aliperio
Industrial technologies are evolving, and in construction, there is no exception. But the most recent developments extend beyond building equipment alone. In this 21st century, technological advancement is the order of the day. New approaches for construction are seen in the field. Such advancement in construction technologies are driving efficiencies which results to better-quality outcomes.
The importance of project management software is signified as it helps project managers to manage different aspects of a project in an efficient way. For example, Primavera P6 for project planning and control and @Risk for risk assessment and management. However, in the current practice of Nuclear Power Plant (NPP) construction, a number of construction management software programs are being implemented where some have common functions, thus, there are duplication of works and activities. For example, Korea Hydro and Nuclear Power (KHNP) has developed Earned Value Management System (EVMS) that integrated cost and schedule, virtual construction management system that can improve constructability by linking 3D design model with construction schedule, and Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) and Risk Management System. The developed systems are currently implemented throughout construction stages.
On the other hand, KHNP also developed Nuclear Plant Construction Management System (NPCMS) that has similar functions of cost management, schedule management, document control, etc. NPCMS was used for construction of 12 NPP units including the 4 units in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). NPCMS has been later upgraded to Knowledge Oriented Construction Management System (KOCOMS) which is an optimized IT-based real time virtual construction management system to make use of accumulated knowledge earned from the last continuous NPP constructions. The main functions of this system are to consistently manage information, to evolve the construction work from document-based work to progress-based work, and to further implement with the owner’s plant life cycle management from project development to decommissioning, not just limited to construction work. With the changing needs of NPP owners, it is important to develop an integrated construction management software that has the flexibility to better accommodate changing NPP needs.
NPP lifecycle integration and automation technology is applied to develop information integration management system, configuration management system, and collaboration system to build a comprehensive information management system that effectively integrates and transfers NPP lifecycle information generated in the construction stage (design-construction-commissioning-operation) later in the operational stage of NPP. With a nuclear program powerhouse like KHNP that has been stably operating newly-built power plants proving their high-quality work, computerized construction management system is the core contributing factor to successful plant construction, as the center of knowledge and work process.
System and Configuration
Summary of Function
- 20 process functions (Foreign/domestic project developments, project planning, licensing and managements for integration, risk, administration, contract, claim, scope, time, cost, HSE, procurement, design change, installation, material, dwg./doc., quality and start up)
- 3 additional core functions (cost estimation, plant 4D model, and earned value management system)
- Adoption of new ICT technology (BMP process, business integration, mobile connections, web service, RFID material tracking, data modeling, time analysis, Risk Analysis)
- 3D based real time virtual construction system
- Interfaces for collaboration with systems of Architecture/Engineering, supplier and constructor
- Interfaces to owner’s plant life information system and configuration management system
- Web based system with user friendly interfaces
- Incorporating project management best practices at international level PMBOK, Prince 2, CII, etc.)
- Enhancement in the areas of project development and planning and risk monitoring and control
- Developed for targeting global NPP construction markets
- Multi purpose system than can be used by the owner, or by Engineering, Procurement, Construction (and Operation & Maintenance) contactor
- Designed for easy customizing (from generic KOCOMS to specific project KOCOMS)
- Integrate management of engineering, construction, maintenance, life cycle management
- User friendly interface and easy customizing
- Securing Global Leading Management Technology and Competence
- Decrease management cost in all life cycle of a nuclear power plant
- Productivity Improvement through Time & Cost Reduction (1,400 million USD/Project)
- Improvement of Competitiveness in Global Market
Spin off Aspect
- Securing safety & reliability through advanced technology
- Job creation & technological spin off to other domestic industry
Get Published - Build a Following
The Energy Central Power Industry Network® is based on one core idea - power industry professionals helping each other and advancing the industry by sharing and learning from each other.
If you have an experience or insight to share or have learned something from a conference or seminar, your peers and colleagues on Energy Central want to hear about it. It's also easy to share a link to an article you've liked or an industry resource that you think would be helpful.