Critical of Nuclear…. Or Nuclear is Critical (to net zero)
image credit: SNC-Lavalin
David Cole is Director of SNC-Lavalin Power business in UK and Europe. This includes activities on operational nuclear power stations, conventional power stations, electrical networks (T&D)...
- Member since 2021
- 1 items added with 204 views
In a debate on our company message board on nuclear power the following 7 questions or points elicited the response that forms this article, they were:
- The radiation risk standing next to nuclear power station (what sparked the discussion);
- That when things go wrong the events are catastrophic and impact thousands of lives and the environment;
- The long term storage of waste has not been resolved;
- That waste and decommissioning of nuclear power is an expensive additional cost;
- That a nuclear power station is expensive compared to offshore wind (the £92.50 vs £40 per MWh comparison);
- That nuclear power will lead to increased electricity prices and some countries are moving away from nuclear altogether such as Germany;
- How proven is the technology for HPC.