Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Utilities: What's Your Story?
image credit: Approved to Use
- Nov 4, 2019 4:00 pm GMTNov 1, 2019 1:52 pm GMT
- 4419 views
This item is part of the Special Issue - 2019-10 - Artificial Intelligence, click here for more
Among the most exciting and fast-moving areas of the utility sector is the increasing prevalence of artificial intelligence (AI), machine learning, and similar digital tools across each facet of power production, transmission, and delivery. In previous months, the Energy Central Hot Topic Special Issues have focused on fields like Blockchain, GIS, DERs, and Energy Efficiency, but some of the most compelling pilots and programs happening in each of those areas would be impossible without AI technology integrated into energy systems. Because of that, it's time to let artificial shine with its own Hot Topic Special Issue!
In partnership with Bidgley, the theme for our next special issue is "Brave New World: AI and Machine Learning at Utilities," and we want to hear from you! These advanced technologies are accomplishing so much these days, from enabling demand response programs to be optimized, integrating smart grid technologies across the network, empowering managed charging of electric vehicles, helping generators plan ahead for what future demand will look like, and so much more. As impressive as the current capabilities are, we know that organizations across the energy sector are continuing to push the envelope every day.
We invite you to share your stories:
If you're helping to bring the power of artificial intelligence to your utility's operations, we want to hear what you're doing and what you've learned. What sorts of challenges have arisen? Where do you see the use of this technology moving to next? How has artificial intelligence and machine learning optimized the product and service you're able to provide to your customers?
Let your colleagues learn from your experiences. You can even share your current challenges; maybe a fellow community member has already faced down that obstacle and can share some insights back to you!
Industry Thought Leaders
We also want to hear from thought leaders across utilities and experts in artificial intelligence. Have you completed surveys of the industry, studied the impact artificial intelligence can have on grid operations, or developed some forward-looking insights? Share the results with our Energy Central Community to learn from your work!
For example, you might submit content on one of the following topics:
- What abilities do artificial intelligence bring about on the grid that were previously impossible?
- How do leaders in the energy sector feel about AI and are there cultural issues that must be addressed first?
- Has the customer experience been affected by deployment of AI and machine learning?
- What issues in the utility sector are unable to be filled with artificial intelligence and instead need traditional human intervention?
- What does the future utility look like thanks to rapidly advancing AI technologies?
These are just some examples, but let your interest and creativity drive your selection of topic so that the Energy Central community can learn from your experience and expertise!
You can contribute two different ways.
1) You can send your submissions to email@example.com with the subject “Artificial Intelligence 2019.”
2) Alternatively, community members can submit articles directly to the Energy Central platform using the ‘Start a Post’ button. If you choose to submit it this way, please add the tag AI 2019 (note: please do not type # in front of the tag, that will be added automatically) so we know it's for the special issue. Further, please schedule your post to go live on the site on November 29 or later to ensure your article is fresh and new for the newsletter!
Due Date for Submissions:
November 29, 2019.
December 3rd, 2019
We look forward to hearing from you!
Audra C Drazga
VP of The Power Industry Network