Maximizing Your Utility’s GIS Investments - Energy Central Insights Special Issue SeriesPosted to Energy Central
image credit: Approved to Use
- Jul 29, 2019 6:30 pm GMTJul 29, 2019 6:07 pm GMT
- 1280 views
This item is part of the Special Issue - 2019-07 - GIS, click here for more
Maximizing Your Utility’s GIS Investments
GIS has been around for decades, but the technology is starting to move into new territory, especially in the energy industry. Utilities have many uses for GIS, optimizing and automating grid solutions, improving compliance and incident response, and developing infrastructure. GIS-based systems can even be used to track data to better support customers. Using such systems, utilities can maximize operations, decision-making, smart budgeting, and customer care.
But how can these solutions best support your utility? One way to find out is to learn how other utilities have used them. “Maximizing Your Utility’s GIS Investments” is a special Hot Topic special issue from Energy Central featuring insights on utility professionals’ successes, lessons learned, and predictions for the future concerning GIS.
Here are some highlights:
- Pat Hohl, and Energy Central Expert, shares “Five Tech Trends to Embrace, and so much more”. “Learn from the trends. Embrace the outstanding new capabilities available to address today’s utility challenges. Do not think of GIS like that index card-printing spreadsheet – just a fancy way to make better maps faster. It does so much more.”
- Learn how GIS and other computer scientists at Wood MacKenzie, an energy research and consultancy firm, have come up with a way to visualize and interpret 3.5 million geospatial data points on a single, dynamic digital map, something that could be adapted to the power and utility sector.
- Discover how the GIS profession is changing. The shift is due to the aging workforce, an influx of tremendous amounts of data, technological evolution including the Internet of Things, and shifting business models, all contributing to a new geospatial revolution.
- Bill Meehan, an Energy Central expert, shares Three ways GIS strengthens Asset Management.
- Explore the deep learning-based solutions GIS providers are developing to automate asset monitoring for the power and transmission industry to improve compliance and reduce response time.
- Find out how GIS can serve as an emergency response tool to help crews handle incidents and outages safely and quickly.
- See how new GIS-based solutions can allow utilities to sketch infrastructure designs natively within GIS, preventing the need to redraw designs and avoiding the expensive process of converting to GIS.
We hope you benefit from this special section. As always, be sure to Like and comment on articles you find particularly interesting. Then, contribute your own article on Energy Central about how you’re working with GIS! Happy reading.
Like what you see here? Consider joining Energy Central’s Grid Professionals or Digital Utility communities, if you haven't already, to get similar content every day! These special interest groups are where you can bring thoughts and ideas on GIS and related topics.