- Jul 16, 2019 9:53 pm GMT
- 460 views
Crews have resumed moving radioactive waste into ground storage at the now-closed San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station in Southern California, nearly a year after a 50-ton canister got stuck.
The San Diego Union-Tribune says workers began moving a canister Monday afternoon from a building where it had sat since August.
Southern California Edison, which operated the plant, says the canister will be lowered into a storage cavity. Another 43 canisters will follow.
San Onofre closed in 2013 but it remains home to 3.5 million pounds of spent fuel and nuclear waste. Efforts to move the waste from storage pools to concrete storage holes halted last year after one canister got wedged inside a cavity at risk of dropping.
SCE says it’s confident the waste can be safely loaded and stored.