Electricity Prices/Costs: 3 mixed signals in Brazil
- Oct 9, 2021 8:51 am GMT
Electricity Prices/costs: 3 mixed signals in Brazil
A combination of factors makes the scenario of future prices quite confusing.
1. Recent auctions point to very competitive prices
Out of wind, hydraulic and biomass power plants. Even the thermals closed at very reasonable levels!
2. "Trojan horse"
There is a list of not competitive projects with a potential cost increase of USD 10 billion that have a chance of being included in MP 1055, such as
* Gas pipelines to be assigned to electric energy transmission tariffs,
* Extension of subsidies for coal,
* Extension of the market reserve period for the compulsory purchase from small hydro power plants
* Addition of new projects to "Proinfa" (subsidized) contracts that may be extended.
The challenge is to create a strategy that considers the above two signals, in order to reach a consistent operational plan of each company or institution.
3. Official spot price dropped
On October 8, 2022, the National System Operator and the Electric Energy Trading Chamber announced the spot at R$ 200/MWh,. A value consistent with filled reservoirs (right now it is below 20% nominal capacity).
No discussions yet. Start a discussion below.
Get Published - Build a Following
The Energy Central Power Industry Network is based on one core idea - power industry professionals helping each other and advancing the industry by sharing and learning from each other.
If you have an experience or insight to share or have learned something from a conference or seminar, your peers and colleagues on Energy Central want to hear about it. It's also easy to share a link to an article you've liked or an industry resource that you think would be helpful.