The Generation Professionals Group is for utility professionals who work in biomass, coal, gas/oil, hydro, natural gas, or nuclear power generation fields. 

Charley Rattan's picture
World Hydrogen Leader Charley Rattan Associates

UK based offshore wind & hydrogen corporate advisor and trainer; Faculty member World Hydrogen Leaders. Delivering global hydrogen and offshore wind corporate investment advice, business...

  • Member since 2019
  • 3,443 items added with 2,299,399 views
  • Dec 6, 2021
  • 352 views

Japan 

The plants can be quite easily converted to burning hydrogen or ammonia, neither of which produce any carbon dioxide. So this seems like a good solution.

Japan's government has much bigger ambitions than that. It wants to be the world's first "hydrogen economy".

Charley Rattan's picture
Thank Charley for the Post!
Energy Central contributors share their experience and insights for the benefit of other Members (like you). Please show them your appreciation by leaving a comment, 'liking' this post, or following this Member.
More posts from this member
Discussions
Spell checking: Press the CTRL or COMMAND key then click on the underlined misspelled word.
Bob Meinetz's picture
Bob Meinetz on Dec 7, 2021

"The plants can be quite easily converted to burning hydrogen or ammonia, neither of which produce any carbon dioxide."

In what universe does hydrogen, except in laboratory conditions, not produce any carbon dioxide?

In our universe, 95% of commercial hydrogen is made by steam-reforming methane, a process that produces even more carbon emissions than burning methane alone. It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume the other 5% is made by electrolyzing water using electricity powered predominantly by natural gas power plants.

Hydrogen is a scam, a faux-green fuel being promoted by the oil/gas industry to extend reliance on gas indefinitely. Though that isn't good or bad for our universe, it's certainly bad for the planet on which we live.

Get Published - Build a Following

The Energy Central Power Industry Network is based on one core idea - power industry professionals helping each other and advancing the industry by sharing and learning from each other.

If you have an experience or insight to share or have learned something from a conference or seminar, your peers and colleagues on Energy Central want to hear about it. It's also easy to share a link to an article you've liked or an industry resource that you think would be helpful.

                 Learn more about posting on Energy Central »