Managing Loads in a Smart Way
image credit: A smart energy home system with lithium battery © Amarosy | Dreamstime.com
- May 7, 2021 4:07 pm GMTMay 7, 2021 1:37 pm GMT
- 235 views
Demand Side Management (DSM) will play an important role in the development of smart grids by managing loads in a more effective way. DSM applications, realized via Home Energy Management (HEM) systems for smart buildings and even cities, will provide many benefits:
- Consumers can realize electricity price savings
- Utility companies will operate at greater efficiency.
- More renewable energy can be integrated on the grid
- Smart charging of electric vehicles will become commonplace
Global energy demand is increasing rapidly in comparison to the availability of energy generation and transmission. Consequently, a widening of the supply and demand gap becomes inevitable in traditional grids. Many utilities respond to this situation by increasing the total generation capacity. This results in underutilized plant for much of the time. Demand Response (DR) is one option for better load management.