What is the real levelized cost of solar energy (LCOE)???
- Jan 27, 2020 10:55 pm GMT
- 510 views
The solar energy sector has grown 68% over the last decade, thanks to hefty government subsidies paid for by tax dollars. Here’s the cloudy truth about solar energy, Cabe Atwell, FEB 07, 2018
Americans have seen some interesting changes in the Oval Office to say the least, but one thing that has not changed much is our consumption of renewable energy. Solar and wind energy made up 47% of new electric capacity last year, and the renewables sector has grown steadily since the mid-2000's.
Part of the reasoning behind this is cost. Installation costs for solar infrastructure have fallen 70% since 2006. Many homeowners have also done away with their electricity bill, thanks to net metering. But while the technology has become more accessible to homeowners and enterprises alike, there is a hidden cost to solar energy that lies in hefty government subsidies.
- I am still challenging the merit of investing in a large solar energy converter to electrical energy.
- Is it cost effective considering all the pros (free energy) and cons (underutilized steam plants)?
- What is the real return on investment (ROI) rate without subsidies?
- Who pays the base-load plant owners for their lost revenue?
- What is the real levelized cost of solar energy (LCOE)???