Subsidies and Priorities (Brazil)
- Jan 16, 2020 9:30 am GMTJan 16, 2020 9:24 am GMT
- 3062 views
Subsidies and Priorities
The discussion, as it was put in the country, points to maintaining subsidies for solar energy. They are more conspicuous (such as tax cuts or even tax eliminations) or more hidden (such as not charging for the grid's back up).
What really intrigues me is the scale of priorities that this prevalent stance indicates.
What's most valuable to the mainstream with these tax resources - for example:
* Promoting health by ending queues in hospital corridors and even deaths
* Enabling access to non-existent sewerage for more than half of the population
* Invest in education to bring Brazil to a competitive level in relation to emerging countries.
* Achieve and maintain the price of electricity equal to that of the BRICS (which are 30% lower)
In the real world decisions are fair and expected by comparison.
Focusing only on solar energy, of course favoring it can be good.
But the needs of the population are infinitely more important than privileging a specific source, which is not the most competitive available in the country and not even that generates more jobs compared to a list of others (100 % Made in Brazil).