- Jun 4, 2021 1:03 am GMT
Oil and gas will remain part of the global energy mix during an extended period of low carbon transition. Even some of the most stringent decarbonization scenarios—such as the International Energy Agency (IEA) Sustainable Development Scenario —show an ongoing, long-term role for oil and gas, albeit at reduced levels from current demand or the business-as-usual case.
KEY INSIGHTS (THEMES & STRATEGIES)
There are five possible strategies and tools for consideration by oil & gas companies:
- Coal-to-gas fuel-switching and supporting electrification
- Decarbonization of oil and gas production
- Geographic hedges to stranded asset risk
- Renewable energy investment and diversification
- Embedding climate-based ESG principles into business models, and improving messaging
STEPS TO TAKE
Oil and gas companies must recognize the role their industry will play in global energy demand growth, and couple that role with the needs and expectations of the low-carbon system and take following steps:
- Building strategies for low carbon business
- Supporting the development of government-drafted and independently-audited ESG
- Building out the promising concepts of net zero emissions and circular economy
- Encouraging the growth of international carbon through Article 6 of the Paris Agreement
- Developing a workforce strategy that leverages the above into restoring oil and gas as an attractive destination for younger talent
No discussions yet. Start a discussion below.
Get Published - Build a Following
The Energy Central Power Industry Network is based on one core idea - power industry professionals helping each other and advancing the industry by sharing and learning from each other.
If you have an experience or insight to share or have learned something from a conference or seminar, your peers and colleagues on Energy Central want to hear about it. It's also easy to share a link to an article you've liked or an industry resource that you think would be helpful.