Road to Daegu Series: What are Game Changers in Energy Systems Globally? [VIDEO]
- Oct 30, 2013 2:00 pm GMTJul 7, 2018 1:06 am GMT
- 415 views
As our “Road to Daegu” activities came to an end at the World Energy Congress, Siemens hosted its final Round Table discussion in the Republic of Korea. The panel was tasked with pulling together the previous five discussions and taking an overall look at the big picture of how energy systems are changing around the globe. The following panel discussed not only South Korea but brought insight into every continent in the world:
- Dr. Leonhard Birnbaum, Boardmember of E.ON SE and Vice-Chair Europe, World Energy Council
- Eng. Ali Saleh Al Barrak, President and Chief Executive Officer of the Saudi Electricity Company
- Dr. Christoph Frei, Secretary General WEC
- Wan-Kyoung Lee, CEO of GS EPS Co., Ltd.
- Mikhail Lifshits, Renova Group, Director, High-tech Assets Business Development
- Dr. Michael Suess, Member of the Managing Board & CEO Energy Sector, Siemens AG
The beginning of the discussion focused on five challenges facing the Republic of Korea:
- A growing energy demand
- the need for a secure supply
- relatively high CO2 emissions
- strong dependency on primary energy imports
The second part of the session was dedicated to the “Lessons Learned on the Road to Daegu”. From the discussion of the cost of energy transitions to the hot topic of moving from coal to gas, the panel covered a lot of ground. You can see the highlights of the discussion here.