How Transparent Solar Cell Energy Is Empowering A Sustainable Green Future
- Nov 12, 2020 4:48 pm GMT
Opting for eco-friendly ways for a sustainable green future is the need of the hour. A lot of experts are finding new ways to develop greener sources of energy to lower our carbon footprint. This explains the sudden interest in programs that offer an online bachelor degrees in sustainability.
Global warming has been increasing at an extremely alarming rate. The surface temperature of the earth was 0.95 degrees celsius warmer in 2019 when compared to the 20th century.
Hence, it becomes vital for each one of us to focus on reducing carbon footprints in every possible way we can.
Empowering a sustainable environment is not always about the natural surroundings. The environmental responsibility has a substantial economic aspect underlined to it.
By the year 2030, the economic benefits of low-carbon initiatives will be worth $26 trillion.
More than a corporate obligation, many environmentally responsible companies are coming together in order to reduce their adverse impact on the environment.
One of the recent developments in this field is the invention of transparent solar technology. Transparent solar cells can turn any glass sheet or window into a photovoltaic cell which converts the light energy into electrical energy.
What Are Transparent Solar Cells or Panels?
Transparent solar cells are just a thin and transparent sheet-like coating layer that can be installed on any of the surfaces without having to make any real changes in the way they look or appear.
Some of the most common places to get them installed includes windows, doors, rooftops, and balconies.
These solar cells use photovoltaic (PV) technology and possess the ability to produce energy from the ultraviolet rays of the sun. The transparent solar cells absorb ultraviolet light and infrared rays to further convert them into electrical energy.
Hence, solar cells use one of the cleanest and natural sources of energy to generate electricity.
Types of Solar Energy Technologies
There are primarily two types of solar energy technologies. The first one is Photovoltaics or PV, and the other one is solar thermal energy.
Solar photovoltaic is the one you must have seen at the top of the rooftops of your residential spaces. These are mainly known for converting solar energy to electricity directly.
In contrast, solar thermal is a technology that first generates heat from the ultraviolet rays of the sun and then transforms it into electricity.
How Does PV Technology Produce Energy?
Basically, in a transparent solar cell that uses PV technology, sunlight works as a detaching agent and separates the electrons from the silicon atoms.
After that, electrons capture photons that store the light energy and set them free from their host atom.
There is a one-way membrane at the top of the upper surface of the cell that is called a pn-junction.
When a pn-junction comes in contact with a free electron, it creates a positive voltage at the rear surface and a negative voltage on the surface that is facing the sun (front surface).
Then ultimately, both the front and rear surfaces are combined with the help of an external circuit to extract voltage, power, and current from the solar cells.
Advantages of Installing and Using Transparent Solar Cells
Sun is the undeniable and ultimate source of energy without which the transparent solar cells would not have been able to convert the ultraviolet rays to energy or electricity.
In addition to the baseline benefit, the advantages of transparent solar cells are numerous.
- It performs exceptionally well at low angles. The thin and transparent solar sheets perform at a higher level of efficiency even when they are not even in direct contact with the sunlight.
- These cells can easily tolerate high temperatures in order to perform efficiently at a greater level. They don't require ventilation and are highly capable of not getting affected by super-hot climate.
- Transparent solar panels are straightforward to install on both horizontal and vertical surfaces. The positioning won't have any effect on the quality of performance of the solar panels.
- As compared to other energy sources, transparent solar cells are the best way to produce natural energy without having to compromise on the performance. Because of the excellent efficiency in performance, the solar cells makes an exceptional choice of generating energy for both domestic and corporate uses.
- The solar cells are quite tough, rigid, and are highly durable in nature. Once installed and maintained properly at regular intervals, you don't have to worry about the strength, performance, and efficiency getting deteriorated over the years.
- Transparent solar cells can produce more power than you can either use for your home or your commercial business.
- The performance of solar cells or panels producing energy is not affected by problems that may arise in other energy sources like voltage dips and blackouts.
- These are one of the best and cost-effective ways to produce energy. The generated power is used to run your daily appliances like fans, lights, geysers, etc., instead of using traditional electricity. The only cost involved includes the manufacturing and installation charges while the cost of long-term maintenance is practically zero.
- These are super lightweight in nature and hence can be easily ported from one place to another without worrying about the in-transit damage.
- The process of manufacturing transparent solar cells is also less complicated as compared to other solar counterparts.
- The materials used in manufacturing solar cells are both organic and eco-friendly.
- Solar cells help in improving the energy harvesting efficiency.
Being a responsible human, it is your moral duty to look after the well-being of the environment you breathe in.
Everybody talks about a sustainable environment and a greener and better future, but when it comes to adopting ways to reduce the carbon emissions and footprint, we fail miserably.
You don’t need to have a big industry to contribute to a sustainable future. You can even get the solar cells installed on the glass buildings, electric cars, sensors, and smartphones.
Transparent solar cells help to provide a healthy and sustainable future for the next generation. It’s time to stop thinking and start doing.
Get Published - Build a Following
The Energy Central Power Industry Network is based on one core idea - power industry professionals helping each other and advancing the industry by sharing and learning from each other.
If you have an experience or insight to share or have learned something from a conference or seminar, your peers and colleagues on Energy Central want to hear about it. It's also easy to share a link to an article you've liked or an industry resource that you think would be helpful.