Podcast / Audio
44. Hydrogen... it's complicated - Redefining Energy podcast
image credit: Credit: Redefining Energy
- Feb 15, 2021 4:44 pm GMTFeb 15, 2021 11:38 am GMT
- 393 views
Why are engineers, politicians and financiers talking about Hydrogen all the time? And why are they throwing billions of subsidies or investment in companies in that sector?
Is Hydrogen a problem, with its hundreds of millions tonnes of CO2 emissions per year or a “Swiss Army Knife” solution that will help decarbonise Mobility, Heating and God knows what?
Should decarbonising the current Hydrogen production be the initial goal? Carbon Capture, Electrolysers: do those technologies make sense from an economic perspective, are there technology breakthroughs ahead or does someone will have to foot the bill?
Rather than trying to fix the fuel, should we not instead switch the fuel and electrify everything?
Those are all the subjects that are covered in this long Episode, and answers are… complicated.
Fortunately, we have our friend Paul Martin on the show, to try to make sense of all those options, and dissociate the Hope from the Hype.
- Electrification: Mark Jacobson
- Mobility: James Carter and Auke Hoestra
- Aviation: Toby McCann
- Lobbying: THE HYDROGEN HYPE https://corporateeurope.org/sites/default/files/2020-12/hydrogen-report-web-final_3.pdf
- IRENA Report: https://www.irena.org/publications/2020/Dec/Green-hydrogen-cost-reduction
Finally, a lot of good material from our friend John Poljack